2/07/2010

A Smaller Picture

Yep, that’s me. Inset of you’re run-of-the-mill 1980’s family snapshot, smiling along with my Mom on the left and my little sister – still new to the world – I flash a devilish grin from under my home-cut bangs. I was the fat kid - and I always have been.

The weight-gain was apparent early. It is nothing out of the ordinary to me. I have known being a bigger person longer that I have known my love of drawing. In fact, of in-body experiences fat is all I have ever known. According to my baby book, which my Mother kept updated until sometime when I was in high school, believe it or not, the unusually high weights started showing up as early as two or three years of age.

I suppose many reasons for this early weight could be speculated. Genes? Probably plays a part. My Grandma Boone’s family, the Eddy’s where of Sicilian decent – happy, plump Italians who loved their pasta – as did I. Grandma Stigall’s family, the Kettlers are all large-framed German farmers. My Dad and his brother have always been big men. My Mom too has always been on the heavier side. But if it were genes alone I would hope only to be more like my German cousins – more big in stature than is actual fat content carried on the body. Environment and acquired eating habits? This probably plays a part as well. “Clean your plate before you get up from the table” is a phrase I remember vividly as a child. That seemed to grow over the years into not only cleaning the plate, but going back to fill it again – and sometime again. Do I blame my parents for my weight? Absolutely not. In fact, I believe that I became an independent soul at an early age, being the oldest to my sister and my cousins with whom I was raised. I started to make up my own mind at an early age – and my Dad made sure that I understood the importance of making choices in life – especially about making good ones. I think it may be the plain and simple fact that I love food. I view food as much more than just a means for my body to function. It is a pleasure. Something in which to indulge one’s self. And I believe that my idea of “getting my fill” has been greatly a skewed over the years.

I never have liked to talk about my weight. So much so, in fact, that I became a person who, in many ways, was so outgoing that once you talked to me for only a few minutes my weight was no longer an issue. I prided myself in this – and am now also somewhat sorry for it. For I had denied my weight problem for so long that now, in a time when it has become vital to reshape myself for the sake of my health, it is insanely hard to change the way my body utilizes the food I eat. In simpler terms, losing the weight I need to lose now is much harder than anyone will ever know.

I really started to consider changing my life only five short years ago. The first 25 years of my life I was completely careless with my eating, and my weight got up to a shocking high when forced to finally get a physical checkup by my new wife – something I had not done since sometime in high school. I was finally shocked into the realization that I am not living for just myself anymore – I now have a family to take care of. I have a wife who I promised to grow old with and two strapping sons who deserve to have their Dad with them as they grow up and start families of their own. And I want grandchildren ever so badly, for reasons far beyond just wanting to be called “Grandpa.” After that doctor’s visit in 2005, after the shock of the massive amount of weight I now carried around, I was set and determined to change my body and become a healthier person.

In the last five years I have also discovered a sad truth: there are some areas of life where I have little to no control over myself. And let me tell you, my friends, that realization is devastating to a person who has every other aspect of their life in control.

So, why now? Why open up. Who cares? You see, six days ago I made one of the most difficult and scary choices ever put before me. In less than two weeks, on February 23, 2010, I will voluntarily go under the knife and have an operation performed that I hope will help me to change my life.

I have never had surgery. I am scared. I have also never had so much difficulty controlling any one aspect of my life. I am afraid that I will fail.

This blog is a part of my new approach to my life-long issues with my weight. I am going to start being honest and open with myself about my relationship with food, with my body and the comfort level I have in my own skin, and with that voice inside of me that beats me down for failure. I am laying this all out there for anyone to see. You too can experience my successes and also my possible my failures. I hope the latter is of much less frequency. I can only take it a day at a time and keep fighting in the right direction.

Welcome to my journey to find a smaller picture.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Jimmy I am so encouraged with your determination and openness to truly have a change of life. You are a amazing to really put it all out there and show the struggle you have as most would NEVER attempt to do this. I have full faith in you and your decision that you will succeed and reach the goal that you are truly desiring! Thank you so much for allowing me to join you in this process and see the transformation. I am a 100% behind you as I am sure the entire family is also. You will be a testimony to many as they see your life change before there very eyes. Your boys will be impacted and incredibly proud of their daddy as you be their example. I will pray for you in this decision and I know you will do well!

    Crystal Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow dude, you have written a lot of stuff. I'm still trying to get caught up on this; I've got the 1st few pages. I think blogging this whole experience is an awesome idea. I find it inspiring, and I'm tempted to write a blog about something...I don't know...like my run-in with male-pattern-baldness. No, wait, that's already come and gone. Anyway, I'm excited to see the changes that take place after you have settled into this whole new lifestyle.

    -Jerry

    ReplyDelete