While at work last week, a couple friends and I were taking a break and throwing the football around in the front parking lot of the studio. One of my buddies, Mike, was talking about his experience with sports throughout his life after asking me how my flag football season was going. "So it seems like you were quite the athlete, huh Mike?"
"I'm not an athlete, really. I just like to get out an move around," he replied.
For some reason that statement really hit me. I feel like it expresses exactly where I am in life right now. I like that.
That said, I wrapped up my winter league flag football season this past Saturday with the Shockers. We didn't win a game. Why? Many reasons probably. Are any of them worth dwelling on? Not for me. I had a blast regardless! My main goals for joining a recreation sports team were met: I got out and got a little more exercise, I got back into team play, and I had fun. That's all that mattered.
I also learned something this first season of play - coming into this game 150 pounds lighter means that there are now people who are actually bigger than me. At times I forget this - and I pay for it. I got knocked flat on my ass four times this season. What a strange feeling...
That same evening of the last game I was invited to a team meeting the next day essentially being invited to join a re-formed version of the Shockers to play in the Hyland Hills Spring league. Hey, some of these guys actually enjoyed playing with me! So, I'll be joining the Pythons for a second straight season of indoor flag football. The first game is in less that two weeks. Kickass!
Ben, the fellow who is responsible for the organization of the team and acting captain of the Pythons is also the organizer of a drop-in flag football league that has been going on for over a year now. It seems like he has his shit together, which will be nice. Perhaps we will win a game or two this season, which would only add to the fun. I may also be playing in some of the drop-in games as well.
On top of that, work is starting a Lego sponsored softball team sometime this spring. I signed up for that as well. Details are sparse right now. All I know is that the games are supposed to be on Thursday nights. More to come about that, I suppose.
At any rate, I continue to try and add more activity into my life to aide in working down the final 50 pounds to my main weight-loss goal. I'm having a lot of fun while doing so.
3/14/2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment