I woke up this morning and had to write an email to my leads and the rest of my team at work. After going into work for two consecutive half-days early this week I have not been back. I finally had to admit to myself that RNY surgery recovery is kicking my ass. In turn, I had to admit that to the people I work with.The stupid thing is that they all seem to know, or at least understand what I am going through better than I do. They are all so kind and understanding and I consider myself very, very lucky to be an employee at NetDevil. Not may people can say that the president of their company would encourage a zombie movie night at the studio – cool, indeed – and that same man tells me that my health is more important than anything at work, so take the time to get better. It’s pretty amazing.
I truly hope that my family at work knows how much I miss being there and helping out. I will be back as soon as I can, but right now I have much confidence – especially with my two young new concept artists, Richard and Peter, as they have really stepped it up. My dear friends Phillip, Nate, and of course Jerry are holding things down and I honestly love all of those guys! Aldric also has funny things to say to make me smile. He’s a good friend too, even if he doesn’t realize it sometimes. Thank you all…
That said, I guess I have really realized that I am not good to anyone going into work sick and trying to be a tough guy. Sitting at my desk blankly and trying not to throw-up is certainly no way to lead a team of talented artists. I am no help in this state – so I’m going to focus on getting myself back in working order.
On a note related to getting better, I had my two-week follow-up at the hospital today. And I have to say that it went well. I was most looking forward to seeing how much weight I have dropped already, but I also want to be reassured that all the crap I am feeling now is normal.
The visit started out on a fun note, I think. Being the smart-ass I am, while waiting to be seen, one of my assistant surgeons, Dawn, came out and asked how I was feeling. Being honest in a not-so-vacant waiting room I replied, “Well, I feel like shit.”
Lots of laughs were had as I gave what I said a second thought – should I have said that? Ha!
I was finally taken back and got to speak with the other assistant surgeon, Allison, about how I was feeling. I was very happy to find out several things. First, everything I am experiencing is normal and I just need more time for my body to adjust. Second, I have been granted permission to take vitamins that can be swallowed! Hurray! Third, I was given prescriptions to help me with my nausea – so hopefully I will not feel so puke-tastic in the next couple of days. Lastly, Allison found my blood pressure very low and cut my BP meds in half – and this is probably a major cause of my light headed state. I will go in to see my regular doctor on Monday (who played a major role in helping me to decide for the surgery) and he will get final say in my BP med use. Good news is, though, that after just over two weeks that medication has already been cut in half. Win!
After the appointment we hung out by the front desk and chatted with Allison, Dawn, and Amy about random things – work, Star Wars, and my experiences with chewable vitamins. I told the story about the sample iron, which Dawn encouraged me to share on the blog after telling her that I was blogging about all of this. We had some great laughs and I have to admit that I am really happy with the team at the Colorado Bariatric Institute. What a great group of people to have behind me during this major change in my life. Thank you, CBSI!
Since I mentioned the blog to Allison, Dawn, and Amy I think I will be sending an email to Dr. Brown this evening – just in case any of them are interested in what I have to say about the experience. If any of them are reading this – I hope you enjoy – and for Dawn, the Lime Flavored Iron Story:
After returning home from the hospital post surgery I started to sample chewable vitamins, as you all know. CBSI provided a sample pack with a few things to try and Tessa was going through them. She took a small bite out of a small iron tablet and said, “Mmm, this one is pretty good. Try it!” So I did. And here is a good example of how messed up my taste is right now – this little tablet was supposed to be lime flavored and according to Tessa it was. Well, to me it tasted like a purple Skittle dipped in taco seasoning sauce. Seriously!So, there you have it. Oh, and by the way, in just under three weeks I have lost 32 pounds. That’s encouraging, but honestly, I would much rather feel better. Heh… all in time, so I’m told.

Jim Im sorry you are not feeling well yet :(
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on 32 lbs!!! thats FANTASTIC!! :)